Directory : Water Directory 2013
Water Directory 2013 PAGE 55 AUSTRALIAN WATER INFORMATION AND STATISTICS Water Storage as at 28 February 2013 (Source: www.nwc.gov.au) Australia (percent per capital city) Adelaide 54.9% Brisbane 86.5% Canberra 99.9% Darwin 96.4% Hobart 97.2% Melbourne 64.2% Perth 24.4% Sydney 87.3% This water storage information is produced by the Bureau of Meteorology and developed with the support of the National Water Commission. For further information please contact email@example.com Water Use in Australia (Source: Water Account Australia 2010--2011, Australian Bureau of Statistics, www.abs.gov.au) The main findings of the ABS publication Water Account 2010--2011, include: • During 2010–2011, 71,796GL of water was extracted from the environment and used within the Australian economy (see diagram overleaf), a 13% increase on the 63,303GL extracted during 2009-- 2010. Water providers extracted 7,106GL, which was a 17% decrease on the 8,604GL extracted during 2009--2010. Water-using industries (mainly the Agriculture industry and hydro-electricity generation) extracted 64,691GL, which was an 18% increase on the 54,699GL directly extracted in 2009--2010. • Of the total extraction of 64,691GL, water consumption by all industries and households was 13,337GL in 2010--2011 (a decrease of 1% from 2009--2010 when it was 13,515GL), and the remainder was in-stream use mainly for hydro-electricity generation. • The Agriculture industry consumed the largest volume of water with 7,175GL, representing 54% of Australia's water consumption in 2010--2011. • The Mining industry consumed 10% more water in 2010–2011 than in 2009–2010 and accounted for 4% (540GL) of Australia's total water consumption. • There was a 1% fall from 2009–2010 in water consumption by the Manufacturing industry, which was responsible for 5% (651GL) of Australia's total water consumption. • Total consumption of reuse water increased by 3% from 2009–2010 to 2010–2011, from 340GL to 351GL. • Water consumption by households decreased by 8% between 2009–2010 (1,844GL) and 2010–2011 (1,699GL). • Households’ use of recycled water continued to increase, with a 6% increase from 2009–2010 in the use of reuse water (from 3,106ML to 3,283ML). However, the volumes involved were relatively low.
Water Directory 2014